Thursday, January 13, 2011

Im enough...

Just watched this very interesting video on human connection, that also talked about vulnerability. It was interesting because the view this lady (Brene Brown) presented was so contrary to how you or I see our own vulnerabilities. At least for me, I can say, I've always added a very negative or a not so positive note to the frame of mind where I feel vulnerable. There's fear. And then there's this effort to quickly get out of that mode so no one sees it in you. Quick enough so its not exploited.
And thats what she starts this topic with. We numb our vulnerabilities. We try to cover them up as if they just don't exist. But then....you actually end up losing out on other things as well. You lose the joy. You lose an opportunity. You don't want to be the first one to say I love you, and you never do. And you miss out on what could have been the most beautiful part of life. And that's just because, well, the outcome was uncertain. And in a way you tried to make it certain, certain that things will go the wrong way. Well....

I came across these lines, which I think could really synthesise this further
"To be whole, let yourself break
To be straight, let yourself bend
To be full, let yourself be empty
To be new, let yourself wear out
To have everything, give everything up"

You're not perfect, and its OK. You're enough! :)

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Vulnerability can be taken in a positive sense. It gives you the freedom to do a lot of things beyond what your 'sane' mind allows you to. And a little bit of risk taking is what keeps one sailing through life..

    And aastha.. I must compliment you for your writing. You should blog more often.

    ReplyDelete